The Research Institute of Food Science and Technology was officially established in 1385 (2006-7) as a pioneer center for scientific and innovative research to meet the research needs of food science and technology across the country by affirmative legislation of the "Council of Higher Education Development.
Activities of the center dates back to the early 1359 (1980-81) when it was acting as the Khorasan Center of "Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology IROST".
After the affirmative legislation of the Council of Islamic Revolution, the center was founded to meet the growing demand for science and technology development and to attract the talents, researchers,inventors, innovators and entrepreneurs. Priority activities of the organization were to promote entrepreneurship and research, support innovation,and develop technology.
The institute continued its activity under the name of Khorasan Research Center for Technology Development while the provincial centers of the IROST,transformed to “Science and Technology Parks”.
As one of the research centers affiliated to the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology and to comply with the commands of Iranian legislation, the Research Institute of Food Science and Technology redirected its mission to focus mainly on the Research and Technology in 1385 (2006-7).
In 1390 (2011-12), according to its luminous records,outstanding works in food science and the regional advantages, it received the final approval of the "Council of Higher Education Development" to start a new chapter in its history proceeding self-motivated abiding the independence sentence of the ministry.